Catnip Mosquito Repellant (Nepeta Cataria)
(Picture credit: http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/nutramedic/catnip.html)
- Pick a handful of fresh catnip leaves (flowers and stems okay to add, but leaves most potent
- Crush with pestle and mortar (or spoon in bowl, or blender).
- (Use as much oil from crushed leaves as possible by rinsing it out with a little olive oil.)
- Put in jar and pour olive oil over crushed leaves until just covered.
- (Choose smallest jar available, but big enough to shake mixture well.)
- Seal lid tightly.
- Shake jar daily at least once.
(If necessary add more oil if absorbed and no longer covering leaves to avoid mold.)
- Put leaves into sieve and press oil out with spoon or pestle until leaves are almost dry.
- Make sure to scrape oil off bottom of sieve (it is the most concentrated and potent).
- Pour oil into small containers (preferably dark glass, like old dropper bottles).